The domain ‘iPage.com’ has been around for more than 10 years but it was not very well known until its recent re-launch in October 2009. Today, iPage stands as one of the greatest successes in hosting industry -The brand took off in late 2009 and went extremely popular in just two short years, ranking top on most of the hosting review sites.
In case you are not aware, iPage is owned and managed by a group of experienced management team – the Endurance International Group (EIG). The EIG has been around for more than 15 years and their hosting platform is currently holding nearly 2 million domain names. The group also owns some other big names in hosting industry, including GoDaddy, FatCow, BlueHost, HostMonster, JustHost, PowWeb, EasyCGI, StartLogic, Dot5Hosting, VPS Link, etc etc. I am not very sure about exact numbers but I believe EIG is one of the biggest web hosting/domain company on earth.
Anyway, who owns the company isn’t that much of our concern. What matters to us is what iPage has to offer? And, is iPage the right hosting for you?
What Does iPage Have To Offer? Details In iPage Hosting Plan
iPage focuses on one simple hosting plan only – the iPage Essential Hosting Plan – a shared hosting plan that allows users to host unlimited domains for $3.50/mo. iPage offers more or less the same features like most other unlimited hosting services – unlimited addon domains, unlimited disk storage, unlimited data transfers, unlimited webmail, unlimited FTP accounts, unlimited MySQL databases, one-click installation on 70+ popular web applications, and couple of free marketing credits.
The features listed above are the standard stuffs you’ll get in most standard budget shared hosting plans nowadays; sos it’s meaningless for me to go thru everything again here. If you need a closer look on iPage feature list, check out table on the right of this page (for some highlights) or visit http://www.ipage.com to dig things out yourself (it should be very easy). I am not here to beat the dead horse again for you in this review.
Instead, I want to tell you something different – the truth about unlimited hosting and the reason why iPage is better than the rest.
What You Need To Know About Unlimited Hosting
As a smart consumer, you should understand some marketing gimmicks that are commonly used by hosting companies. The term, unlimited hosting, for instance, is nothing more than a marketing slogan. Truth is, there is no unlimited hosting in this world – nothing is unlimited on this earth (if you want to learn more about this, read my previous article: The Truth Behind Unlimited Hosting).
Take our case, iPage, for example: Yes, iPage allows you to host unlimited addon domain in your hosting account; but it’s only unlimited when you are not exceeding the CPU resources allocated to your account. If you exceed certain level of CPU usage (which normally won’t), iPage will have your hosting account suspended.
Quoted From iPage TOS
How much disk space and bandwidth will my plan include?
There are no set limits on the disk space or data transfer (bandwidth) that we provide in our hosting plans. We want you to have the resources you need to build a great online presence, and 99.95% of all customers will have more than enough disk space and bandwidth to meet their needs. That being said, we do require all customers to be fully compliant with our Terms of Service and utilize disk space and bandwidth in the normal operation of a personal or small business website. While it is rare, we may need to put constraints on accounts that are using resources beyond what would be expected in the normal operation of a personal or small business website.
Typically, customers only run into issues if they use their accounts for storage or file sharing, which is not what our services are intended to support. In accordance with our Terms of Services the disk space and bandwidth you use must be integrated into the normal operation of your website.
What happens if I exceed "normal" usage?
If we have concerns about your account’s bandwidth or disk space utilization, you will receive an email asking you to reduce usage. Generally, we provide customers with a minimum of 48 hours to make adjustments before taking the account offline. Again, the most common situations involve customers who use their accounts for storage of files—particularly multimedia files—that are not linked off of their websites. It is very rare for a customer who is managing a personal or small business website to exceed normal usage.
It is commonly understood by experienced webmasters, and as quoted above, it is clearly written on iPage TOS; so please don’t be naïve and believe that iPage is able to supply unlimited hosting power to your $3.50/mo account.
What Makes iPage Better Than The Rest?
There are couple of different factors that make iPage one of the best budget hosting in the market but in general, there is only one key factor that beats all the other companies: The Price.
After testing and using more than 20 over hosting services and picked, I realized something very important: Most shared hosting service providers actually offer the same hosting features (unlimited hosting, free domain name, webmail, 24×7 supports, etc etc) and quality of service (North American based supports, 99% server uptime, etc etc). As we will be getting the same hosting features eventually, the cheaper the deal the better (provide that the host comes with reliable server uptime and satisfying customer service), right?
Yeah, and this is why I picked iPage. iPage hosting offers what most other shared hosting providers offer (in term of both quality and features), but its price is 20% to 40% cheaper. For your easy reference, here’s the comparison chart.
|Web Hosting Brand||Price Starting At||VS iPage|
|IX Web Hosting||$6.95/mo||99% Higher|
iPage Hosting – Benefits
- Extremely Cheap As mentioned above, if you are searching for the Best Budget Web Hosting, iPage will be surely come into your radar. Fact is, iPage is extremely cheap. And not that only it is cheap; it’s also reputable and reliable. So if you want a good host at an affordable price, iPage hosting is a go!
- Anytime Money Back Guarantee Another good thing about iPage is its protective customer policy. Most hosting companies offer money back guarantees for the first 30 to 45 days; but not iPage. All iPage customers are protected by its Anytime Money Back Guarantee. Under this policy, iPage customers get to claim for a pro-rated refund after the first 30 days trial period. In other words, iPage has to work very hard to win business as it is easy for customers to leave the host.
- User Friendly And Extremely Smooth Ordering Process iPage is perhaps the most newbie-friendly web host. I have purchased iPage twice in the past and both processes were nothing but pleasure. The account setup process was idiot-proof and the ordering process was very smooth. My hosting accounts were ready minutes after payment.
- Eco-Friendly Hosting According to iPage official website, its hosting operation is fully powered by renewable energy.
iPage Hosting – Drawbacks
- Lack Of Server Upgrade Option Like WebHostingHub, Hostmonster, BlueHost, and many other budget hosting providers; iPage offers nothing but shared hosting services. Although the Essential Hosting Plan is often more than enough for startup websites, users who wish to go VPS or dedicated servers will have to go elsewhere (recommendation: check out WP Engine and Hostgator instead).
- Expensive Renewal Fees Many iPage users were not aware that the price $3.50/mo is actually promotional price that only available for first time customers. For iPage renewals, the cost is relative higher – $6.99/$7.99/$8.99 monthly for 36/24/12 months term – this often sparks some complaints among iPage customers. However, it’s worth pointing out that the renewal prices are actually more or less the same with what other hosting companies are charging.
My Experience With iPage Hosting
I have purchased an iPage account twice in the past – both were happy experience. I still own one of the accounts and I am hosting three websites on it.
My experience with iPage, in short, is positive.
As mentioned, the ordering process was really smooth. And, my hosting accounts (both times) got ready in the next few minutes after I made the payment. You ought to think hosting companies that charge such a cheap price is inefficient most of the time, but truth it iPage is very efficient in this. You can indeed get a new site up and operating on iPage within the first hour (neglecting the time that you need for domain propagation).
Furthermore, I am also happy with iPage server performance in term of both uptime and response speed. I know, you might read some complaints on iPage from time to time and wonder why I am rating the web host that good. Well for one, I do not put up illogical expectation – we are paying such a small fees for an iPage hosting account, it’s insane to expect the web host to provide the same kind of service we get at InMotion or WP Engine. And secondly, iPage has hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of customers – it is guaranteed that someone will be unhappy about something and went bad mouth on the web host (hey, you can’t please everyone, right?).
Conclusion – Who Should Go With iPage Hosting
Now, doesn’t matter what I think about iPage. Question is: Is iPage right for you? Given that there are both pros and cons; negative and positive reviews on the Internet; should you still go with iPage hosting?
The decision is yours to be made.
iPage is truly the Best Budget Hosting in my book. You can’t find any web host offering the same features (and server performance) at this low price. And, as for the negative reviews, well iPage allows customers to cancel their account anytime they want and refund back the remaining fees – so what is there to worry? If you are searching for a cheap, reliable web host; and are considering on iPage – then just go for it!
To order or visit iPage online, follow: http://www.ipage.com